Home

Thursday, September 1, 2011

I'm a vocab snob

You may or may not know this about me, but I'm a word snob.
*Hi, Word Snob*

Allow me to explain...

I don't profess to know anything about punctuation.  In fact it's a sad truth.  Much like the fact that I can copy you when you play a song on the piano, but don't ask me to sight read anything.  It will not happen.  Even if you hold a gun to my head.  So, like my love of music and dislike for sight reading, I love words and don't like the periods, semi-colons, commas, etc.  I tell you this so you know that it is out of ignorance that I  over-comma and under-hyphen or whatever.  

BUT, the real reason for this post.  

SINCE.

it was originally a word used for time.  

Merriam Webster defines 'since' as
: from a definite past time until now <has stayed there eversince>
                                         : before the present time : ago <long since dead>

: after a time in the past : subsequently <has since become rich>
(these are just the adverbs.)  
So, when you start a sentence with;
"Since I felt like sharing this with you..." and making it synonymous with "because" it's not correct English.  It drives me crazy!!!!  So please, next time you use "since", use it correctly, use it wisely.
"You can look like the smartest person in the room until you open your mouth."~Anonymous 

No comments:

Post a Comment